Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Huge Vet Bills and No Money To Pay Them...

Eff.
Seriously Eff.

In the past year and a half that I have owned Chester, I am pretty sure that I have spent more in vet bills then I spent on him.  When you don't have a job to pay for said vet bills, it really really really friggin blows. I just got my invoice for: blocking, rads and his first shockwave session...and it is almost $1,000.  And, we still have another 2 Shockwave sessions to go.  Yes, I knew this was coming and yes I know I don't have any other choice in the matter.  But, what a shock to my system.  I honestly feel like throwing up a little bit. 

The stress of caring for a horse is one thing.  To have to care for an injured horse who is unrideable for almost a year when you have no job...is indescribable.  Trust me. I just sat here staring at my screen for 5 minutes trying to figure out what to say that could possible describe it.  No luck.

To be able to afford to go to events, clinics, xc schooling etc, I have an ING account.  Every Friday, $25 is transferred from my checking account over to my ING account.  This cash helps me to be able to do all the fun things with my horse during the summer and is basically the only way I can afford to anything because, in case you hadn't noticed before - horses are expensive.  Now, I have to take that money and use it for Chester's vet bills.  Although it will put a dent into the bill, it won't come close to paying for all the treatments he will get and there is still no guarantee that he will come out of all this at 100%. 

Chester is feeling it a little too.  He is a little bored and stressed I think.  He is getting a lot of white hairs throughout his body, mane and tail...that is a sure sign of stress.  Understandably so.  He hasn't felt the best for the past 5 months.  Speaking of his mane - he has rubbed off the bottom 6 or 7 inches of it.  Speaking of his tail - his tail hairs are falling out.  My heart just breaks for him.

It sucks.  I can see why people end up having to use their credit cards all the time, which in turn gets them even farther and farther into debt that they just can't get out of.  I have been feeling pretty good for the past couple of weeks...and that all came to a crashing stop about 30 minutes ago when I saw the bill.  Almost like a 'This is your reality wake up call! You have no job, an injured horse and huge vet bills. Good luck to you."

I'm trying, really really hard to remain positive.  The fact - for whatever reason - I haven't been able to land a job - is really starting to get to me.  It's been almost 7 months and for 5 of those months, I have had an injured horse.  Not a good mix. 

Getting a HUGE bill like that and knowing you still have another $800 to come. Blows.  I'll do everything I can for Chester - to make sure he has every shot at recovering fully.  I don't know how I am going to do it, but I will.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to share my deepest sympathies and empathy. I have my own stack of medical bills on the table and my stupid knee has just added to it. I get my back injected tomorrow, I'm sure they will gleefully call me and tell me how much THAT will set me back.

    It just suckszzzz.

    ReplyDelete